FIRST TIME USER: WHAT TO TEACH YOUR CHILD ABOUT GLASSES
Dr. Jim Martin 07/30/2015
Preparing Your Child For Glasses
If your child is apprehensive about getting glasses for the first time, there are a few things you can do to help. Purchase some books or movies that have a main character who wears glasses. You can also have them talk to an adult who already wears glasses to get answers to some questions he/she may have.
Tips For Caring For Glasses
Your child should learn from the very beginning how to care for his/her glasses. After all, glasses can be fairly expensive, so proper care is necessary. Below is a list of things you can teach your child about caring for his/her glasses:
- Your child should learn to place his/her glasses with the lenses side up when lying them down. Placing the glasses with the lenses side down could scratch the lenses.
- Unless your child is taking his/her glasses off for only a few minutes, they should always place them in their glasses case. The case will prevent the glasses from unnecessary damage.
- Your child should learn to clean his/her glasses with a soft cloth. Your eye doctor can provide you with a specialized cloth that is perfect for cleaning glasses.
- Tell your child to let you know if the glasses aren’t staying in place. He/she should never try to bend the arms of the glasses because they could break. Take the glasses back to the optician to have them adjusted professionally.
- Let your child know that they should never let anyone else, including their friends, try on their glasses. This can easily break or damage them, no matter how careful the other child is.
If you think your child may need glasses, contact Broome Optical in Amarillo. We will complete a thorough examination to determine if your child needs glasses or not. If you purchase glasses with us, our experienced team will show your child how to take his/her glasses on and off properly and will also adjust the glasses to fit your child perfectly.