WHAT TREATMENT IS AVAILABLE FOR CHRONIC DRY EYE?
Dr. Jim Martin 02/21/2014
If your eye doctor makes a diagnosis of dry eye, you have a number of treatment options available that will make life with this condition bearable.
Here are some of the available options:
- Artificial tears are a good over-the-counter option for people with mild symptoms. These drops give a layer of lubrication between the eye and the eyelid as well as providing protection to the eye surface. If you find that you use artificial tears all the time, you need to talk to your doctor about a more effective treatment option.
- Punctal plugs placed in the tear ducts prevent tears from draining away. This helps elevate the amount of moisture in the eye. These plugs, made of silicone, can stay in for long periods and be removed at any point. Doctors often recommend plugs when the eye's tear production is too low.
- Vitamin therapy is an option. Many companies have come up with vitamin formulations designed to treat dry eye syndrome. Most formulations include fatty acids which help with lipid production.
- Restasis is a prescription eye drop designed to help the eye produce more tears. It works to reduce inflammation that may be decreasing the amount of tear coming from the glands. It can be used with artificial tears or by itself.
- LipiFlow is a new technology that helps increase lipid production in the eye. This technology uses a special device to gradually warm and massage the eyelids. This helps clear blockages in the meibomian glands where lipid production happens.
Dry eyes are not something you should just live with. Extended bouts of dry eyes can cause damage to the eye's cornea and cause other problems. You need to contact an eye doctor and have an exam if you suffer from this disorder. By determining what is causing the dry eyes, it is possible to get treatments that will reduce the problems and protect your eyes from any further damage.
For treatment of dry eyes or other eye conditions, contact Broome Optical in Amarillo, Texas. We have extensive experience with diagnosing and treating dry eyes, and we are one of the only places in Amarillo that offers LipiFlow treatment. Your road to healthy eyes all begins by setting an appointment to see one of our optometrists. When you come in, we’ll administer a Dry Eye Assessment to determine the best treatment for you.