STAY SAFE WITH THESE FIREWORK SAFETY TIPS
Dr. Jim Martin 06/29/2015
These safety tips can help you enjoy your fireworks display this July.
Safety Tips For Fireworks
Whether you’re just using sparklers or you’re planning a whole display, these safety tips can help protect you and your family.
- Before igniting the fireworks, read all of the labels and descriptions. It is important to know what you’re igniting before you light them.
- Do not light fireworks after consuming alcohol. Alcohol can impair your judgement and you may end up injuring yourself and others.
- Do not allow young children to be near fireworks, and if you do allow teens to handle fireworks, make sure they are closely supervised.
- Never let fireworks off in an enclosed area.
- If you are using sparklers, be sure to remain standing and never hold more than one at a time.
- When sparklers go out, they can remain hot for a long time; drop them straight into a bucket of water to avoid burns.
- If you are letting off fireworks, designate one or two shooters. These people should be aware of all safety rules and make sure everyone else stands at a safe distance.
- Wear safety goggles to protect your eyes when using fireworks.
- Do not purchase fireworks then modify or alter them; this could result in injuries and danger for those in the area.
- If a firework does not work as it should, never relight it; wait at least 20 minutes before soaking it in a bucket of water.
- Make sure all spent fireworks are soaked in water before you place them in a dumpster or garbage can.
- Be sure to report any illegal explosives to the police or fire station. These fireworks are illegal for good reason and should only be used by firework experts.
- Be sure to adhere to all local and state regulations regarding the use of fireworks.
Stay safe and have fun this 4th of July by remembering these important fireworks safety tips.
If eye injuries occur during your firework celebrations, be sure to contact an eye care specialist right away. Broome Optical in Amarillo provides a full range of services. Our qualified eye specialists can help keep your eyes healthy all year long. Contact our team today to set up an appointment in our Amarillo office.
Note: Broome Optical will be closed on July 4th.